Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Oil light is coming on at idle, and then goes away at higher…

Customer Question
Oil light is coming...

Oil light is coming on at idle, and then goes away at higher rpm just had oil changed, but still doing it, was thinking about replacing the sensor, but wasnt sure where that was

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The oil pressure light that looks like a little oil can

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2004 sienna

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had oil changed at local lube place, but was going to try to replace the oil pressure sensor myself if it its accesible

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/6/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So with this we would need to check the oil pressure first to make sure you know that the engine is ok, there could be a oil problem, sensor or more serious a pump issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sounds good so what is the first step?

we need to check the oil pressure at the sensor port you will need a pressure gauge for this, most auto parts store will have a loaner tool program you can get one that way, below is everything you need to know about the process with specs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggx17qg20cbgrup/sat20.docx?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, I may have on e of those in the tools I inherited from my grandfather. where is the sensor port? the dropbox pic is a little fuzzy.

right in the front of the engine

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh... the pic shows it somewhere by the belts, on the passenger facing side. so when looking at engine compartment is it on the left side? can I get to it without removing anything?

its really in the center of everything, and you should be able to get right to it, are you looking at it now?

On that one you may have to access it from the wheel well after the plastics are removed

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ug. Ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What are the possible problems if the gauge does show it to have low oil pressure?

pump would be clogged, engine bearings are worn or the oil thickness it too thick, did you say this happened right after you got the oil change?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, it happened and the first thing I did was get the oil changed. However, it only comes on at idle. When i rev the engine past 1500rpms it turns off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that a clue?

yes that tells me its not a oil viscosity issue and the pressure needs to be checked to make sure its not your sensor

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician