Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2002 Toyota tundra four-wheel-drive 4.7 without the gas line…

Customer Question
2002 Toyota tundra four-wheel-drive...

2002 Toyota tundra four-wheel-drive 4.7 without the gas line was frozen food in heat 30 minutes later it started and idled fine 30 seconds later it started running rough and died we drain the fuel tank put new gas in it and now it does the same thing when it does start

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

We put 10 gallons of premium fuel back in it with a bottle of heat we also changed the fuel filter it was clear but have water In it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are doing it ourselves it had a new fuel pump about a year ago we charge the battery and it started but it run real rough

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Seems like most trouble started after replacement of the fuel pump

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/6/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So gas dosent freeze until about -40 and there has to be a lot of water in the line for it to freeze like that, have you checked the fuel pressure on that yet at the engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The throttle position sensor seems Abnormally noisy

so no fuel pressure check? and they do get loud is it doing a full sweep with no issues?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No fuel pressure check since it had a new fuel pump put in it around year ago

parts fail all the time, never rule anything out, I get new parts that fail all the time, and if you could answer all the questions when posted that would help me a lot, so again, they do get loud is it doing a full sweep with no issues?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is a full sweep and how would you check the fuel pressure

full sweep means when the butterfly is open all the way to close position, if you press down on accelerator and watch the butterfly make sure it has no jerking or weird movements, it should be a smooth sweep open, and you will need a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure, do you have one of these?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t taken off the air horn to see the sweep I have pressure gauges but where would you put it on the fuel system is a diagram you could send me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you just loosen the crossover line and crank the engine
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have To Toyota tundra is the other one is a 2002 we have been exchanging sensors to see if that would work

what do you mean by the crossover line? are you referring to the fuel line? and crank for what? here is the fuel pressure check procedure

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mc0hyeay5xe8cis/sat7.docx?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The crossover line from one fuel rail to the other to see if it squirts I understand that the fuel pump only works in the start position of the ignition

it should prime up when the key is in the on position, and squirting isnt checking pressure so there is no way to tell that its at operational pressure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no gauge that would connect to that line or any other diagnostic equipment

you can get them at the auto parts store under the tool loaner program for free

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there anything else that might cause the same thing sometimes when it does start it runs nice and smooth for about 30 seconds

yeah about 100 things, we have to do a step by step elimination process, did I ask if there was a check engine light on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When I started it last night it was running real rough and the service engine soon light was flashing and then It stayed on steady It was running rough at an idol

do you have access to a scanner so we can have those codes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would have to tow it down to the auto parts store to get a reading

sounds like you need to get some tools to work on this thing,

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what’s next

I guess thats up to you, you need a code reader and pressure gauge and who knows what else, how much investment in tools do you want?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
None

well I guess its going to a shop then ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Shawn was no help. Worthless ! wasn’t worth anything

thanks for the kind words sir, you were also a delight to work with, thanks for using just answers and have a great day

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can’t believe you charge me for worthless information
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Do you still require assistance with your issue? Please understand we experts do not set the fees or do the charging, that is all done by the sight and if you have any issues or we cannot help you you may go to the sight's customer service area and submit a request for a refund. Now that being said may I help you with you problem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks. Shawn pissed me off. But I would like a refund. Where do I find this customer service over

Just a quick suggestion if you do not mind, have you replaced the spark plugs because if you had water in the fuel they will be fouled. If you wish a refund you should be able to find customer service on your end , but I can maybe inform them at my end to do so. Sorry about your bad experience hope you don'r judge us all the same as we are here to help. good luck.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would appreciate you taking care of the recall and I cannot find customer service anywhere
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician