Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

1999 corolla sedan has had battery disconnected and not used…

Customer Question
1999 corolla sedan has...

1999 corolla sedan has had battery disconnected and not used for past six months.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Have jumper leads connected to another car but not able to start corolla. dash lights all working and lit up. immobiliser???

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only trying to start engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Water, oil, electrics checked. gear lever tried in both park and neutral to no avail

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/6/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

H​ello and welcome to the site

Does the engine crank over but not fire up or is there nothing at all? Are there any clicking noises when trying to start it?

Do you have a voltmeter or a test light?

Any red flashing lights on the dash?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks, Ted
My name is Russellclicking noises as though poor battery, but now connected to good battery via jumper leads
voltmeter available and 12v supply measured
no red flashing lights on dash

Thanks for the reply

assuming that the battery connections are good and the voltage is good if there is a single click noise everytime the key is turned to start it would indicate a defective starter. Are you getting a single click or a rapid repetitive clicking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a rapid repetitive
sorry, can't do phone at the moment

P​hone call is not necessary, rapid clicking indicates a voltage drop between the battery and the starter, please make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, no corrosion. There is a bad connection between the battery and the starter positive cable or the ground connection. The starter needs a lot of current to engage, any voltage drop will cause the rapid clicking of the solenoid.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
understood, Ted
will go over all connections/terminals again once temperature outside cools from its present 40degrees C (102 F).
May I let you know of progress or lack thereof later please?

Yes, please just reply here again when ready.

Just curious, are you in Australia?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am
about 50Km south west of Sydney NSW at Campbelltown - you?

I'm in southern California, stay cool and we'll talk later.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
understood
so about 2045 at night and a fair bit cooler.
I have relations touring NY city at the moment in those cold days they're having and
also have a relation here from Canada over Christmas & New Year. Came from from -40 to +40 and he's not real happy with the heat or the flies!
talk later

I​t's our winter here so it's pretty cold but nothing like the east coast, take care and keep me posted.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician