Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2002 tundra started up and then I think we shut it offer…

Customer Question
My 2002 tundra started up...
My 2002 tundra started up and then I think we shut it offer a minute and then it was dead so I had to jump it with my car it jumps just fine and we drove a couple hundred miles
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi can you please clarify what your issue is here? and what exactly your question was about it?

like said got to the mechanic and it fired up and then idled fine ... drove it home and I should have let the battery charge but she it off ...I went to the store bought bigger cables and jumped it to drive it overtook my little shop and change the oil ... then I was going to let it sit and run a while ... when tried to jump it again nothing ... I charged the battery over night and nothing
I took the battery to auto zone, tested it and they said it was good and fully charged
I have lights and radio and everything on ... but nothing when I turn the key
I have to run an errand and will be gone for a n hour or 2 so if you have any tips... im all ears but I will get back to you later.

so now it does not start even with a jump?

That is correct. I had read in some forums about a guy who had what sounded like the exact same symptoms with his 2002 tundra and he change the starter and some other stuff and it still wasn't the problem

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

if everything else works but it wont start, you need to check for the start signal making it to the starter. if the signal is there, the starter is bad, if not, then you have something upstream preventing start (power distribution, security system, trans/clutch switch, etc) which will require professional diagnostics.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

How do I check the starter signal?

you need to access the starter and use a volt meter on the small wire to see if it gets voltage when trying to start. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

I think the starter is under the manifold, is there any way to test this with out opening up the manifold ?

yes the starter is buried. on some you can rig up a probe to reach it, but you may have to remove the manifold. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

im pulling the ignition relay and taking it to a friend to test it real quick

okay. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

we tested the relay and its working fine.

have you tested for the start signal at the starter?