Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I'm having some electrical issues with my 95 Tacoma. Namely…

Customer Question
HI! I'm having...

HI! I'm having some electrical issues with my 95 Tacoma

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Namely it's the small ground wire going from the negative post on the battery to the frame. I lost the bolt that secures the wire to the frame. I want to replace it, would you happen to know what bolt I need

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

It has the right voltage and not leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it. Without that connection theres no power to the inside of the cab

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/4/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

The bolt for that smaller ground connection is: 6mm threadX1.25 pitch, the bolt head is 10mm. most hardware stores like ACE, Home depot or Lowes should have it in the hardware department, be sure to also get a flat washer at the same time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's kind of odd that that ground has to be there to get any kind of power into the cab. Is that normal?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Especially if it's just a ground

T​hat smaller wire is a redundant ground in case the larger wire breaks you will still have power but the engine won't crank, so I'm not so sure that it is the problem> Have you checked the battery connections and the large black ground wire it should connect to the frame but again, I think there may be something else going on.

If the battery is good as you say then there is a disconnect between the battery positive post and the fuse box under the hood or the main 120A fuse is blown possibly. Have you checked this fuse using a voltmeter or test light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuses are okay. The battery has a constant drop of around 13V. When I hold the wire and re-establish the connection from battery to frame the cab lights come on and I have the usual door open chime. I then kind of keep it in position and I can get it to turn over but its not stable enough to stay in place
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Then when it re-opens everything dies inside. No lights, power locks,chimes, or anything inside.

Thanks for the reply, go ahead and bolt it on where it's supposed to go and see if that fixes it.

let me know if there's anything else I can help with after that.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech