Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2002 prius key is stuck in ignition. I can turn it on and…

Customer Question
2002 prius key is...

2002 prius key is stuck in ignition. I can turn it on and off, but if I don't get the key out it will be dead by tomorrow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes, I can turn the wheel and the key is fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just me working on this. I put some graphite in. I don't know that any really got in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 day by:
1/5/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You can try and spray some lubricant around the key like dry graphite to see if it will free up and remove as this sometimes works.If it does not work I suspect the tumblers in the key cylinder are jammed up causing this issue and the cylinder will need removed and re-keyed or replaced to resolve this issue here.This is usually best done by a lock smith or shop that has access to the tools needed to remove the cylinder to do this repair.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician