Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My dad has a 2018 Avalon XLE. It's new with 3500 miles and 3…

Customer Question
My dad has a...

My dad has a 2018 Avalon XLE. It's new with 3500 miles and 3 months old. Twice, he said that his car would not unlock, and the manual key was ineffective. The car was totally nonresponsive. But after 10 minutes or so, the car would unlock normally. He's going nuts trying to figure out what's going on. My dad is 85, so some of this may be technology, but how hard can it be to unlock the car? The dealer has checked the car over and can't find anything. I am wondering if he might have had something in his pocket that interfered with the remote communications.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

He went to the dealer twice. They found nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope. Dad's ready to trade in the car and get something he can trust.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/4/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

The only thing that would interfere with the key fob in his pocket would possibly be another key fob for another Toyota. If this only happens at his home, then there is a slight possibility of it being another toyota nearby with its rf signal interferring with his or if anyone in the neighborhood has a ham radio setup, this can interfere with the rf signal.

If these dont apply, then it is most likely an intermittent fault in the remote receiver. He will likely need to leave it with the dealer for a few days for them to periodically test it until it doesnt work, which at that point they can test the remote itself and the receiver unit. Being that it is only 3 months old, they should be able to put him in a loaner vehicle while his vehicle is at the dealers

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager