Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I replaced all 8 of the ignition coils, but still get a

I replaced all 8...

I replaced all 8 of the ignition coils, but still get a P0301 misfire code, even though the engine seems to be running very smoothly

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

Yes, on cold or wet mornings. I would get rough idle until it warmed up. replaced 2 coils, but it didn't solve the problem. On Monday I replaced all 8 with new coils and it runs much better now, but after clearing the code, it returns after a few miles of driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 v8.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just replacing the coils by myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck has 214,000 miles on it.

1/3/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When you replaced the coils did you have a look at the spark plug on the #1 cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I didn't.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did notice the coils looked ok, except for cylinder #6. That had burning, which I assumed was from arcing.

Providing you are sure you have good spark at the #1 cylinder (P0301) then the next thing to check would be the spark plug before you consider replacing it you could swap the #2 spark plug with the #1 spark plug and then drive it and see if the misfire moves. If it does then that would indicate the spark plug is breaking down. Can you try this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will try this. Thanks!

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had to take it to the dealer Saturday to have them look at it. Turns out it the Bank 1 Air/Fuel mixture sensor needs to be replaced.

Glad to hear you got it resolved and thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician