Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Will the ethanol in my gasoline prevent gas line

Customer Question
Will the ethanol in...

Will the ethanol in my gasoline prevent gas line freezing...or do I need to get gas line antifreeze?

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Happened to fill today...but wife's car wouldn't initially start yesterday, after it has a short run

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Corolla 2010 and matrix 2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything, since it started up again after a few minutes....I was thinking of preventing in future cold weather

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/2/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

While ethanol will prevent gas from freezing, it will clog the fuel injectors over time, so it is best for your engine to use a gas line antifreeze which is formulated to prevent gas from freezing without damaging the fuel injectors

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate pop up rating page. Thank you

Sorry, misread your question. I thought you were asking about adding additional ethanol.

The 5% ethanol in the fuel wont damage the engine, but is not enough to prevent gas line from freezing, so you do want to use a gas line antifreeze.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager