Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When I started my 2004 prius when it was 10 degrees the

Customer Question
When I started my...

When I started my 2004 prius when it was 10 degrees the check engine light and the read warning light came on. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on...but engine and battery seem to be working

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Maybe; need it to last a couple of months longer. Haven't tried anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The battery is a recently purchased remanufactured battery with 12 months warranty remaining. Because of where I was I drove it home (about 5 miles) without anything out of the ordinary.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/2/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This may be due to low voltage on a cold start.What has to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your model.Once this is done any code set then needs to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.A shop or dealer can read out the codes as well as diagnose and repair them for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out the codes at no charge to you.They won't be able to diagnose the codes but can give you an idea of what is at fault needing replaced or repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete