Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla. It only has 39,000 miles. It…

Customer Question
I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla. It only has 39,000 miles. It was owned by an elderly woman. It has not even been started in 4 years. I got a new battery. I checked all the regular fuses. It turns over beautifully but doesn't fire. Also, have checked the spark plugs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes, 2 under hood, and one on drivers side kick panel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Testing the spark plugs, replacing battery, testing regular fuses putting gas in it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
1/2/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 3 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If the car has not been started in 4 years, the problem may be that the gasoline in the fuel pump (which is in the tank) has turned to what we in the mechanic trade call "Varnish". Old, stale gasoline has a tendency to become a thick gummy substance. This prevents the fuel pump from pushing the fuel to the engine under the proper pressure. I would recommend you crank the engine over, and then remove a spark plug and smell the part that fits into the engine. If you do not smell raw gasoline, you need to replace the fuel pump. Depending on the amount of gas that was left in the tank, and is bad, you may need to remove the tank to remove the old varnish fuel. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm the site has transmitted my reply to your request. Thanks!

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert