Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Lift gate on 2008 will not close. Sequoia. The lock

Customer Question
Lift gate on 2008...

Lift gate on 2008 will not close

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Toyota?

Sequoia

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?

The lock mechanism looks closed so it will not go over the lock bar

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

In locking the car does not work Un *

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
1/1/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you hear the latch make any noises when trying to unlock it at the lift gate?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can see that it is closed
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you able to help

O.k., does your tail gate have a handle that releases the latch when you normally try and open it and if so if you press unlock and have someone try and use the handle to open the latch does it open.In some cases you would take a flat blade screw driver and locate the little arm on the latch that is latched closed and pull it open while operating the handle/door release to open it then it should operate properly.

If neither of these work here then the latch itself has failed and needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that didn’t work work

Is the latch still stuck in the closed/latched position?

If it is the latch itself may need to be replaced.It can be common to fail to cause this issue here with it needing to be replaced.You will have to have this tested/checked further to see if this is the case as it sounds like it may need to be replaced with what is occurring here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician