Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Blower not working. Toyota/Yaris/2012. Nothing yet. This has…

Customer Question
Blower not working Mechanic's...

Blower not working

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Toyota/Yaris/2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Nothing yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This has happened once in a while. Blower will work, then I turn off the system or the car and it will stop. Then a little later in the drive, it turns back on randomly. When I turn the know from "0" to 1, I hear a click from the fuse box area at my left knee.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Yes, I know there are 2, one under the hood and one at my left knee.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

when the blower motor does work can you select all speeds?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can turn the knob to all speeds, but the fan does not blow in any of them. I can tell the heater is working though.

you mean you here the blower fan actually turning?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, I do not hear the blower fan turning.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

so you feel heat but no forced air from the blower?

not even on high speed?

have you got a test light or multi meter to check a couple things

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct, not even on high speed. I feel the heat I turn the knob to outside air and drive around.

I can walk you through doing some simple checks to locate the problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct, not even on high speed. I feel the heat I turn the knob to outside air and drive around. I do have a multi-meter.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

excellent, I need you to remove the under cover under the glove box to access the heater motor , then disconnect the connector going to the heater blower motor and check for power with key on and fan switch in high. let me know if you get power .

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this may take a few minutes

In the mean time I will get the wiring diagram for your vehicle. I will check back

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

there should be a small tab on the back side that you need to squeeze as you pull the connector down, the white black wire is ground and you can check that for continuity as well to any body part.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will try that

ok will wait for your results

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Unplugged. This is my multi meter. How should I set it for the test?

DC 50V

IGN ON BLOWER SWITCH TO HIGH AND PROBE THE OTHER TWO WIRES yOU SHOULD GET 12V

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I probed as best I could up into the port I pulled the plug from. Pretty sure I touched all around in there. Got nothing on the meter.

Ok just one moment please.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do

I'll be here to view your results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help, I’ve got a bit of a family issue I need to deal with and have to stop for now. Thanks for getting me started!

just send me your results so we can proceed latter I will review what you have done and if necessary help you further.

Also please rate my service

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician