Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have a toyota rav 4 2005 and it just quit running on the…

Customer Question
We have a toyota...

We have a toyota rav 4 2005 and it just quit running on the highway angine just started deaccelerating while driving 70 mile an hour and just shut off

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Battery and everything is good, i tried my car md hand computer and picked up 3 codes C1223, 1224 and 1241

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to diagnostic the problem but need to understand what these codes are telling me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/31/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 4 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Sadly, the C1223 and 1224 codes do not have anything to do with the engine shutting off. These are ABS codes. The C1241 code my be possible, as this code relates to electrical power in the vehicle. A C1241 code is set when the electrical power in the vehicle is below 10 volts. The computer in this car shuts off when electrical power available (from the alternator) is less than 10 volts. So, what this sounds like to me is your alternator is not producing enough voltage to cause the computer to run the fuel injection and spark systems. Most likely, you will find after a alternator test is your alternator is not producing the specified 14.4 volts at all times. This sounds to me like you are going to be looking at replacing the alternator.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do confirm that you have received my input. Thanks!

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert