Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Getting a moaning crank noise, then rapid clicking. Noise is…

Customer Question
Getting a moaning crank...

Getting a moaning crank noise, then rapid clicking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise is coming from under the hood somewhere around the transmission end of the motor (criver's side)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2000 corolla CE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Letting it warm up during the day. If I have to, I may try substituting the starter relay.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really. When it runs, it runs well.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So that usually is either a bad starter or battery I would get the battery checked first, any local auto parts store will do a check for free

Previously, the cranking noise would be continuous and always happens in cold weather. A very determined moan of a powerful electric motor, then ignition. 3 or 4 cranks and it starts. Now it has just started the single or double crank noise and drops right to the rapid clicking.

ok get the battery checked and let me know what happens

I intend to try replacing the starter relay incase it has thrown a contact. And, of course, playing tug of war with the connectors on the battery and some of the heavy gauge wires to check for loose connections. I will have to see if one of the other relays is suitable as the solenoid handles the cranking current and not the relay.

ok try that and let me know what happens

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!