Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2007 Prius wont start now that I put a new engine in.

2007 Prius wont start...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery is charged and new last year. wont go into D or R

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have code P0453 and have put a charger on the 12 volt batt to bring the charge up. I am working on it myself. have a strong prior mechanic background.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The Hybrid battery indicator shows one bar. It wasn't keeping a good charge previously and would change to full green in D with foot to floor but would drain off to 1 bar or less shortly after that. No previous not starting issues. Had the triangle of death near the end of the old engines life. took hybrid battery out and checked each cell and had a consistent voltage across each one of 8.1 volts if I remember correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cleaned all of the highbred terminals also when I put it back together. After I cleaned all the terminals and put it back together the battery was able to go to full charge. Prior to that while I was driving I could never get it to go past 3/4 of a charge and rarely got into a green bar . So I did improve that situation so I’m not thinking I have a hybrid battery problem
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correction. I think I’m not having a hybrid battery problem. And also when I reconnected the hybrid battery after replacing the engine I did all three steps when I put the disconnect back in
12/30/2017
mike switzer

is the engine cranking at all? is that the only code because that particular code will not cause a no start condition.

also how old is the 12v battery?

test/maint mode whatch this video it will bypass the hybrid system and force start the engine to atleast see if the engine will crank over. but if the 12v battery is too dead it will need to be charged for a good amount of time at a high amp rate before the prius will even try and start. i would let it charge for a good 30-1 hour first before proceeding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I sit in the car put my foot on the break and push the start button everything comes on my display comes on but immediately goes to a screen that says something about the P mechanism. All of the triangles and lights are on and will not go away even if I reset the battery.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The battery is less than two years old

sound like it is not registering the transmission in park. do you have access to a scanner that show data?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have this little red light in my display all the time now

can you take a picture and upload it to here i think i know what light you are talking about but do not want to assume

mike switzer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have an obd II scanner. Our weather here today is -13 and I had to put the charger back on the car I think overnight
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Just wanted to update you with my situation. We are still below zero here and will be for most of the week. So things are going just a little bit slower than I hoped. Scott W9AFJ 73s

not a problem i will continue to check in

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I charged the battery inside my house for three days on a trickle charge and when I installed it tonight it initially had 13.3 V but when I went to start it again it did not start. I checked the voltage reading with my OBD two and it read 11.9 to 12.1 so I am assuming I need a new battery. I will pick one up tomorrow and put it in. I will let you know if this fixes my issue.
Thanks for the help so far.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK so this is where I’m at. I have ordered a new battery but do not have it yet and it’s $181 So I hooked my battery charger up to my car outside and charged it for a couple two hours and then put the charger on boost and my voltage is close to 13 point something volts but I still have the same problem where it does not start and there is a message in my screen that says something about the P mechanism . And I thought I would remind you that this engine was just put in so hopefully there something that I’m not missing. I went over every connection and I do not see anything that was left out. So if a battery charger gives me the voltage then I would suspect a new battery would not do the trick . What am I missing

p mechanisim is referring to the park mechanism. it seems that the vehicle is not recognizing that it is in park. but on the picture you sent it shows it in park. at this point you would need a factory scanner to figure out what code it has in what system. it seems your scanner is not able to access what ever system has the code.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Installed new battery fully charged. The voltage that my OBD two reads 11.9 volts but when I test the voltage on the battery it reads 12.5 volts. Still says that there is still a problem with the P lock mechanism is at fault on my screen. There are no codes in the car. Still will not start.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still with me?

this vehicle as i stated needs to have the codes pulled by a factory scan tool or one that is as capable as the factory scanner.

mike switzer
mike switzer
mike switzer