Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Won't start. Doesn't click. New battery and starter tested…

Customer Question
Won't start. Doesn't click...

Won't start. Doesn't click. New battery and starter tested and is fine. When you turn the key lights dim

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

I've tried it in park and neutral. It does have a wheel lock feature but it isn't engaged when I try to start it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

99 Camry 4 cyl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery, starter tested good

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Checked the relays and fuses

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 3 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello and thanks for posting on the site

The lights dimming usually indicates a voltage drop between the battery and the fuse box under the hood, check to make sure the battery connections are good and the negative cable is grounded good as well.

Was this the same problem before the battery was replaced? Was there a jump start made before the battery was replaced?

to both of those questions. I checked the cables to the starter and the ground and they seemed fine. No corrosion in the wires and cleaned terminals. I'm going to double check the ground

Thanks for the reply, if you have a voltmeter verify battery voltage next.

If the battery voltage is above 12 volts check the 100 amp fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

I have to be offline for about a couple of hours, be sure the 100A fuse has 12 volts and is intact. I will check back with you as soon as I get back.

when I tried to remove the 100 amp fuse to check it out it broke. but then the car started? With the broken fuse. Now it won't go into drive
Matter of fact it won't do anything nothing else is working aside from it starting and the door beeping when it's opened

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician