Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Leaking water into passenger side when rained. Wet under…

Customer Question
Leaking water into passenger...

Leaking water into passenger side when rained. Wet under carpet where gear stick is and behind glove compartment. Had new windscreen fitted and door seawls checked and mechanic pooked something incase of blockage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

Definitely water not sweet and heaters working Pulled carpet up and put hand right up behind glove compartment. Wet and towards the middle of widscreen area also wet under mat covering gear stick area

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

54 plate t3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took to garage and he said it was a split in windscreen but I think they did it as the previous garage did not spot that. then paid a mechanic to do this poking of the run offs windscreen bit but said it wasn't too bad. He said no seals in doors are causing leaks. Firts garage chaarged me 74 pond and hour so I would like an idea of what to look for rather than pay them to find it.

Mechanic's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Thankyou

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 1 month ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Does it have a sunroof or moonroof?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no AC either

It could also be an air conditioning evaporator drain tube that is clogged. That would be wet more when the air conditioning is on. Not sure what you have for outside temp there.

Ok. I will opt out as I cannot help without being there.

Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 month ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Different expert here. More often than not, a replacement windscreen is the cause of water intrusion into the interior. If the windscreen is indeed fitted properly and sealed, the other main cause of water intrusion can be form a blockage in the cowl panel. The cowl panel is the means to admit fresh/outside air into the passenger compartment. The cowl panel is directly under the bottom edge of the windscreen. Water can enter the cowl panel, but it is drained out. If the drains are clogged, the water level in the cowl will raise to the point where the air ducting is located (it is a bit like a chimney). If the water reaches the top of the air entry duct, water enters the passenger compartment. The recommendation I have for you on this request is to have the cowl panel water tested and ensure that the water admitted to the cowl during hte test drains out rapidly. If not, the cowl drains need to be cleaned out. This is not an easy job, not is it recommended to one who is not familiar with the cowl panel. A good body shop would be the best avenue to sort this out. If you have any questions, please reply. Thanks!

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert