Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We are looking at a 2012 Prius that is in pristine

We are looking at...

We are looking at a 2012 Prius that is in pristine condition. Carfax info shows it was a lease car for the first year of life, and then it was bought at auction and sold locally here in Twin Falls, ID. It had only 1 owner for the past 4 years. The car has 83,270 miles on it, and the only services done besides oil changes every 5,000 to 7,000 miles was a Electrical system check at 31,601 miles, and a Battery/charging system check at 49,912 miles. There is no indication of work needing to be done. At $10,900 is this a good deal, and how long should we expect the batteries to last before replacing them? (I can't afford a big expense at this time)

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

We have not looked at the batteries, I am assuming they are in good condition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are looking at buying this Prius, so I am wondering if this is a good deal and can we expect a fairly long life out of the batteries.

12/30/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

the price of the vehicle plus the mileage on it seems very reasonable

the batteries on these cars last 10 years ,give and take , if the hv module for the hv batteries has been scanned and no faults found ,a capable scanner can actually measure each individual cell in that hv battery then i will buy it with out hesitation will be my opinion on it

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

The dealership should be able to scan the hv module for me, right?

yes correct , and i would spend the $100 to get that report on the battery to be sure

Thank you

you welcome

Please remember to Rate me using the stars on top of your screen before you exit since that is how we get compensated

thank you

Chad Farhat

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800