Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 Toyota Prius ABS, BRAKE and SKID light all came on

Customer Question
2010 Toyota Prius ABS...

2010 Toyota Prius ABS, BRAKE and SKID light all came on while driving down the free way. Prior to this throughout the day there was a hissing or barking sound when I would apply the brakes. Also, there is a constant every five second grinding noise that sounds electrical, like something is trying to turn on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

ABS, BRAKE and SKID light all on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

No took it to the firestone and they said my brakes were fine but that Toyota should see the car immediately to diagnose ABS?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

you need to have abs system scanned and retrieve faults , but sound like the brake booster is leaking internals from the diaphragm is what that hissing sound is , what you say if you get close to brake pedal and press it , do you hear the sound from inside the car at pedal

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

at the pedal
at the pedal, are you there?

yes sir at brake pedal

I apologize sometime the reply are slow here because of internet traffic and speed , not me :)

Now There a TSB technical service bulletin on the brake booster

click on link to view pdf file describing the issue

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me if more help is needed

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

my VIN number is ***** included in this recall. VIN is JTDKN3DU3A0221831
The recall range is A0001044-A0067875what now?

it does not matter , you still have to check that

these numbers not always accurate

if the booster is ok then you need to scan it and get fault codes and we can pull an exact troubleshoot or we will be guessing and end up throwing parts at it ,

the fact you hearing a grinding noise , also could be the abs pump is activating prematurely , is it cause of pump defective or abs wheel sensor or a yaw sensor to many parts involved

I had a diagnostics run on it the diagnostic error code is C1391My question is can I replace the brake actuator pump without having to pay to replace the entire master cylinder

yes you can to answer your question

now C1391 dtc has a troubleshoot steps ,click link to view before replacing any parts and end up throwing parts at it

and also included the brake booster pump removal

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat