Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

There is a leak in the powwer steering fluid from the boot…

Customer Question
Hi, there is a...

Hi, there is a leak in the powwer steering fluid from the boot of the right wheel I believe

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?

The reservoir is fine.I undid the pinch clamp on the boot and slid it back and the fluid started spilling so I know th eleak is inside the boot

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2011 Tacoma 6 cylinder*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything aside from locating the leak. A friend told me that I probably need a whole new power steering rack alltogether

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/30/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

If you have fluid getting to one of the rack and pinion side boots then you will need to replace the entire rack and pinion. This is caused by a leak in the internal rack seals and this boot is only to keep dirt out of the rak and is not to hold any fluid at all.

If you have no other questions then please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for assisting you today. Thanks.