Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Toyota corolla. both my key fobs aren't

Customer Question
Hello. I have...

Hello. I have a 2012 Toyota corolla. both my key fobs aren't working; but a red light blinks when I press the unlock button. The security light in the car is blinking, and the car won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

I don't know the difference between flash and blink

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

I also don't know how to reset the security system. my old corolla had a switch under the steering wheel but i don't see that in this one. my car is dead so i don't really have a choice unless i get it towed

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's it ok thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/29/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Have you tried to use the key and unlock the car door with key to see if it disables the theft system?

I can get in to the car with the key but it doesn't disable the theft system
You will need to disconnect the battery clamps and wait ten minutes then reconnect it then unlock door and see if that helps
Ok, we will try that first before a phone call, thanks.

Let me know if disconnecting battery works. Then phone call can be funded by you.

If you have no other questions then please enter a 5 star rating so I can get credit for assisting you today. Thanks.