Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2005 Sienna passenger power side power door opens half…

Customer Question
My 2005 Sienna passenger...

My 2005 Sienna passenger power side power door opens half way and then automatically closes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing it myself. No repairs attempted yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/29/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

are you handy in removing door panels and checking things out ? Have you checked the cable for frays?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I have not removed any panels. Door opens under power but closes automatically when half way open.

this sounds like it is restricted, I would like you to first check the cable for any frays as this is quite common.

can you manually open that door all the way?

I will open the panel tomorrow and check the cable and contact you back if cable looks OK.

That is no problem I will check latter tomorrow on the info you have for me. G/N

I turned the power door power button off and opened the door to the halfway point where it meet significant resistance.The lower track showed no obstructions. I pushed the door open through the resistance to the full open position. It now works OK...for now. Does this sound like a cable?

yup very possibly and they are a bitch to do . shop charge is about 4 hrs labor and parts.

do you wish to try and tackle this yourself I can supply pics and procedures.

please provide this info. I suspect the problem is going to return.

If you wish I can get the info for you but will require further time and resources to do so.

It is still acting up, so I will need that info.
Looking to do the inspection on the cable this morning. Have you sent the info yet?

will have it latter today as I am at work

I have not received the instructions.

it's a lot to down load and put into file. I have not forgotten about you, and will send this info off before I turn in tonight sorry for the delay. It is a lot of time and resources on my part to do so , so I will have to ask you to accept a service I will be sending to you so I can do so. remember your covered under this sight's 100% satisfaction gaurantee so you have nothing to loose in the event I may not help you your refunded through the sight.If this is acceptable just hit the accept button and I will send all the info you need and can also continue assisting you with no further charges.

ok I have all the info ready to go , all you have to do is accept the offer I sent and I can then send it off to you.