Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Toyota Matrix and I just changed the oil and…

Customer Question
I have a 2009 Toyota...
I have a 2009 Toyota Matrix and I just changed the oil and filter. After replacement, there are 2 spots around the pan that are now leaking. Previously, there was no leak.thanks
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/29/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

1.8 or 2.4 engine?

1.8
How do I review your response? As soon as I go to to view your answer, you want me to switch to a live phone which I don't want.

Sorry about delay, website didn't notify me. Website automatically tries to upsell phone call's it has nothing to do with me. If you are completely sure oil pan gasket is leaking and it isn't residue from oil filter then next step is to replace the oil pan gasket. Would you like replacement instructions to do it yourself? Thanks.

Ok Thx, but why is it suddenly leaking now? How can an oil change cause a pan gasket to leak?

It can't cause a leak so problem was either a coincidence or it is oil residue from filter. I'd recommend giving it a few days to see if it is still leaking if so replace the gasket, bolts should be tightened to 7 ft lbs. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

What do you mean my oil residue from the filter & how would that affect an oil leak around the pan? I've installed a filter(element) many times, but is there any way a faulty installation could have caused this? Thx

Faulty installation wouldn't cause this unless you were getting sloppy with adding oil or removing the filter, the Customer place any oil would drain off is the pan. Only possible thing you could have caused is damaging seal on oil filter housing which is leaking, running down to the pan. I'd clean off the whole bottom side of engine so you can make sure leak is not coming from above the oil pan, if not you need to replace seal. Let me know how it goes, thanks

OK, thx then.

No problem, let me know if there is anything else I can do. Thanks.

Dan, Technician