Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My car is slow to start. The headlights turn on when the car…

Customer Question
My car is slow...

My car is slow to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

The headlights turn on when the car is running. I don't have a battery indicator guage in my car so not sure if it is charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Toyota Tacoma, model year 2015 with ~27K miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not sure if I will fix it myself. I have not tried anything yet

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
12/28/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

When you say it's slow to start, does it crank really slow? like the battery seems weak? or does it crank at normal speed and just seem to crank too long before it starts? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cranks slow

Alright, is this the original battery in it? And how cold is it where your at right now? because temperature can effect this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
original battery. 65 degrees right now

Alright, 65 degrees it should be cranking normally, I believe the battery is likely weak, the battery is likely 4 years old now, and it could have a dead cell in it. I would go ahead and stop by a local auto parts store and let them test the battery, and see if the voltage is dropping too much on it under a load. A 12 volts battery shouldn't fall below 10 volts are so on a load test. and yours is probably dropping below that. I do not believe it could be anything else or an issue with the charging system with just 27K miles on it, otherwise you would likely have a warning light on in the instrument cluster for that. Does that answer all of your questions? thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the battery is only 2.5 years old now.

Alright, does it sit a lot or do you drive it everyday?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Drive it pretty much every day.

That is interesting, I suppose it could be the starter motor itself, but that is definitely not my first thoughts. That starter motor shouldn't draw more than 150 amps or so, it would need to be tested with a amp meter and checking the battery voltage at the same time to make sure it didn't drop more than a couple of volts. I would like to also verify the charging system voltage is around 14.5 volts. I believe you will find your problem there checking those things.

I really doubt it's the starter motor though. They usually last a lot longer than the one on your vehicle. I would verify the charging voltage, and verify the battery is charged fully and perform a voltage drop test on it when cranking. Let me know if you have any further questions please. Thank you.

Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician