Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 99 Camry 4cyl. The ac light flashes and no power at…

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 Camry 4cyl. The ac light flashes and no power at the compressor, also the blower is stuck on vent and will not change to defrost, or feet. both problems started at the same time so i think they are linked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes my self. i have checked for power to the selector switch and i dont have it. i have checked fuses and relays.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

The A/C light flashes because the compressor is not turning or the belt is slipping. The speed sensor in the compressor is not matching the speed of the engine. Check the connectors to the A/C compressor and the belt tension.

Try swapping the M/G clutch relay with the horn relay and see if that works. This will rule out the relay.

belt is not loose. the clutch never has power. it does not engage. also the blower is stuck on vent and will not change. i have no power to the selector switch. both problems happened at the same time so i think a common problem
i tried to swap the relays the other day and it did not help.

ok, pull the clutch relay again. do you have a meter?

auto climate control or manual climate control?

Manual control.
I have a meter tell me what to do.

pull the relay. the prongs should be numbered 1,2,3,5. let me know if they are

??

I can't see numbers on it.

ok standby

With ignition on I have power to the coil side of the relay, and also to the supply side of the relay. What I don't have is ground to the coil on the relay.

make a jumper and stick one end in 3 and the other in 5

hows it going?