Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The battery and abs light came on....cut car off and

Customer Question
The battery and abs...

The battery and abs light came on....cut car off and wouldn't crank. An hour later car cranked with without the warning lights. Drove it for about 30 min. And the lights came back on, radio didn't work, dash light were dim, and the car drove was going out of gear, dash lights flashed on and off!

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

2007 Toyota Avalon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just started, went to a parts store and they said to take it to dealership.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/27/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 6 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on your explanation of the issue, I believe you have one (or both) of the following problems: 1) loose battery terminals on the battery posts, or, 2) the alternator is not producing sufficient voltage. Loose battery terminals can and will cause this, but, it really sounds to me like your alternator is not producing enough voltage. The specification of this alternator is 14.4 volts DC at idle. If your alternator tests lower than 14.4, you need to replace it. The computer in this vehicle is designed to shut down if the alternator voltage is lees tan 10-10.5 volts. I would recommend an alternator voltage and amperage output test by a qualified technician with the correct test equipment. If either test fails, replace the alternator. If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm that the site as transmitted my input to you today. Thanks!