Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I got 2012 Toyota Camry hybrid xle and today morning when i…

Customer Question
I got 2012 Toyota...

I got 2012 Toyota Camry hybrid xle and today morning when i start the car it start showing me the message as check hybird system and engine lights are on to

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stay there

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry Hybrid yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing as dont know what to do

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ron Z., - Toyota Tech - replied 4 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Did you happen to have any diagnostic trouble codes (aka "p-codes") scanned from the on-board computer yet?

hi no not yet

Ok. That's not a problem. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Ok. There are a couple of known problems with these vehicles that can set the check engine light along with the check hybrid warning. There is an issue with dust or debris getting into the hybrid battery cooling fan, which limits air flow to cool the battery. And there is also the case that the hybrid battery itself is failing and will need to be replaced. At this point, we'll need those p-codes to determine if one of these issues is the root of the problem. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc). In the meantime, you can give the hybrid battery fan an inspection and if any dust is present, try to remove as much as possible. If the fan was dirty, after cleaning, if that was the problem, the lights will clear themselves after roughly 50-75 miles of driving. If not, then again, we'll need those p-codes. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -