Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Not accelerating. Idles good just not responding right with…

Customer Question
Not accelerating Mechanic's Assistant:...

Not accelerating

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

Idles good just not responding right with acc

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Installed new petal position sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Toyota?

2000 Thundra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

V8 4.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced petal position sensor and checked all fuses

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/23/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

K

have you gone over the basics as in a tune up , oil change etc. checked for codes?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

code is po120 replaced petal position sensor
Suggestions?
Removed and cleaned complete throttle body
Idles good just when putting foot on throttle it is not responding, some times delayed response but usually no response

Thanx for that info , please wait for me to check my notes and get back latter with some ideas. Does that same code return? has it been tuned up recently?

same code tune up and all done

P0120 TOYOTA - Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'A' Circuit Malfunction

Possible causes; Faulty Throttle Position Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor circuit is open or shorted, Throttle Position Sensor poor electrical connection

You sad you cleaned the TPS but in this case I don't think it is enough, it may have to be replaced. Would you like the procedure for checking it as this will take time and resources to send you . All procedures will be from our shop manuals. So let me know if that is acceptable to you and just request more Q&A so we can proceed.

Not sure I want to replace it, other options or suggestions

it is a lot cheaper then having a garage diagnose it and will tell you right away if it is indeed the TPS oR WIRING AND YOUR COVERED UNDER THE SIGHT'S 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE.

This is what your code is pointing to ,So you can either replace it or confirm and replace the choice is up to you.

Confirm

Ok then give me some time to gather this info and format it to send it off to you. You will have it latter tonight.

K thx

P0120

(

DI

40

)

Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/

Switch ”A” Circuit Malfunction

S

Open or short in throttle position sensor circuit

S

Throttle position sensor

S

ECM

here is the whole process of checking the TPS system. hope this helps and if you need further assistance let me know.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician