Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ted, I am having a similar issue top this post. 94 toyota…

Customer Question
Hi Ted, I am having...
Hi Ted, I am having a similar issue top this post. 94 toyota pickup.checking for a draw. measured 0.28 mA and when I removed the AM2 fuse from the hood it goes down to 0.03 mA.Is this a large enough draw to cause an issue?Symptoms: car battery drains when I let truck sit. Truck sits for weeks to months. I now have to disconnect and reconnect the battery each time to ensure my batteries don't die. Went through 3 batteries in 1 year.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/24/2017
Toyota Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

28mA is negligible and within normal battery draw limits. Up to 40 mA is considered normal.

The AM2 fuse powers the ignition switch and also goes to the EFI fuse, which is a power feed to the engine controller. The small amount of draw that you're seeing is almost surely the engine controller given it's the only thing on the circuit that receives a constant power feed. Try unplugging the ECM and see if the draw goes away, although I'm not sure that replacing the ECM would lower the draw.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.