Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

TOYOTA FJ CRUISER. 07. Are you a real person? H 4 four wheel…

Customer Question
TOYOTA FJ CRUISER Mechanic's...

TOYOTA FJ CRUISER

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your FJ Cruiser?

07

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your FJ Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a real person?

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

H 4 four wheel drive will not engage. I am able it seems to use L 4 and all the associated lights come on on the dash i.e. ABS/VSC OFF ect and the L 4 seems to function but not H 4. Vehicle has been well cared for.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Fuses

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/23/2017
Toyota Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 5 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I have been an Automotive Technician for over 15 years, and currently working at a Toyota dealership.

Are you able to pick up all 4 tires off the ground and with the FJ in drive put it into 4WD to see if the front driveshaft is turning?

this will help narrow down the problem to either the transfer case of the front diff.

No, I have no idea how I would do that without taking it to a garage.
Please OPT OUT;
Please opt out.
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

If you can wait till latter today I can supply you with diagnostic procedure from our shop library and guide you through the process if you wish. Would this be satisfactory ?

Thanks I will wait. Jay

Sorry for the delay have the info just will take a while to organize on my pc and format it to send it off to you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

here are some checks

Ok I have some questions as well. When you try to select 4h does the shiftier actually go into that position or it does not. Does the vehicle actually feel it is in 4l or 4h when you select that geat if it feels like it is going into 4h then could be just the indicator switch if defiantly not then your in to checking the shift linkage and or removing the transfer case and dissembling it to see what is causing this as yours is not electronically controlled.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician