Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

I have an 04 Highlander. I have no tailights, front fogs,

Customer Question
HI . This is John...
HI . This is John and I have an 04 Highlander. I have no tailights, front fogs, and side front/rear marker lights and number 46 10amp fuse is blown. I assume I have a short somewhere but not sure where to start. The number30 20amp fog lamp fuse is not blown.Any thoughts. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
12/22/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

If the fuse blows immediately there is a short to ground.

Before this happened was anything done to the car? Anything added, any bulbs replaced, front or rear body damage, any electrical work at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Earlier in the Fall there was some damage to the right front and the fog light was replaced
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that was my $20?

Thanks but this fuse blowing happened recently is this correct?

Can you tell me what the name of the fuse is?They are all labeled in the fuse cover, please match up the fuse with the designation on the cover?

do you also happen to have a volt/ohm meter or a 12 volt test light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not exactly sure when the fuse blew as my daughter had the car. It is fuse #46 10amp TAILYes I have a multimeter

Good, all those lights are on the tail fuse, first let's find out if the problem is fron or rear but before I go on , does it have a trailer hitch installed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but I don't think it's the Toyota tow package. The hitch wiring (flat four) is cleanly stored in the rear driver side cubby to the left of the spare time. I cannot see any exposed wiring underneath the vehicle.

O​k, try to disconnect that connector, this will isolate the trailer wiring from the rest of the lights, there can be problems with the trailer wiring converter box, it's very common so this is a quick test then we'll go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The wiring goes underneath the plastic cubby. Got under and disconnect the converter and the ground. New fuse still blows.:(

O​k, remove both tail light bulbs, they have two filaments inside, one for tail and one for stop, after the bulbs are removed check each one of the contacts inside, ground the ohm meter then see which contact goes to ground (zero ohms) which side and which color wire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
According to the owners manual, I'm supposed to twist the the plastic pieces counter clockwise, but I'm not able to get my
hand in there to do so. Is there a trick?

E​ach bulb socket has a short sub harness connecting to the main harness disconnect the connector for each light assembly, see if the fuse still blows, if not the short is in one of the light assemblies, if the short is still there remove the side marker bulbs and then the license light bulbs see which makes the short go away.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The harness for each side comes into the backup light and then spreads out. I disconnect each back side harness which removes power from all the light sockets and put in a new fuse. It blew still each time. Do I need to track it to the license plate light?

If the license light is also out of the circuit the problem is in the front, wither the front parking lights or any other lights that illuminate up front with the switch on the park setting, the tail fuse also supplies power to the instrument illumination so the problem may be there as well, try disconnecting the dash illumination dimmer switch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Removing the license plate lights,although dirty, did not stop the the fuse breaking. Funny the dash lights come on even with no fuse in the #46 holder. Although fuse 47 also says"instrument panel light". So I am out of fuses and it's now dark in my driveway, and my hands are cold. (only for a heated shop:) So tomorrow I should look at the fog light and front marker light connections? Is there a place where the harness travels that is susceptible to a short? Thanks for your help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you ever seen a problem in the stalk switch itself?

V​ery seldom but it could not be ruled out. there is a good chance that when there was minor damge to the front area and the fog light was replaced that there may have been damage or bad insulation to the front park lights as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will check that out in the daylight. Thanks and merry christmas wherever you are.

M​erry Christmas to you as well, good luck and keep me posted.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician