Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When my car is cold the car starts ok. After I drive for 20…

Customer Question
When my car is...

When my car is cold the car starts ok. After I drive for 20 minutes and turn off the engine, it won't start. It only cranks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

If the car turns over how can it be the batterY?????:?"?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1989 Toyota Supra Turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Supra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'ver replaced the plugs wires and ignitor still the engine only cranks but won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I also replace the Coil Paks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
The only part I haven't replaced is the Cam Position sensor ( expensive )
12/22/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

ok
I am pretty good a mechanical work. I just don't know if I should also replace the Cam Sensor. As it is fairly expensive, I have spark and you can smell fuel

Have you determined if it is a fuel or spark issue? Try spraying some quick start ito the intake and see if it tries to start. Let me know what happens.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Did that still no start so I don't think its a fuel problem. I also took off plug wire #1 and inserted a spark plug I have spark
Did you see my reply about spark and fuel???
are you there

I have to ask these questions as I do not know your skill level. Does it crank over normally or faster then normal?

normal crank it trys to start but won't grab. My skill level is above average. As I said I have changed the ignitor, and the Coil pak ( 3 ) wires and plugs. Only thing left is the Cam Position sensor.Although I have checked fuel pressure it think its ok as you can smell fuel in the engine bay
I don't want to nu a Cam Position sensor unless you as the expert thinks thats whats wrong. cost on a sensor is 225.00
do u think it could be the Cam Sensor????
have u read what I have written are you still there

what color is the spark crisp blue or orane?

have you checked the timing?

Spark is blue....can't check timing without engine running. When it runs it is very smooth maybe slightly rich
Pretty hard to check the timing if the engine won't run.
You haven't answered my question. Could it be the Cam Position Sensor????
Car only has 74,500 miles
are you there??????????????????????
are you there whats going on
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician