Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 toyota rav4. my a/c light is blinking. and no…

Customer Question
i have a 2004 toyota...
i have a 2004 toyota rav4. my a/c light is blinking. and no cold air coming out. this is intermittent. on a given day or given hour, it turn on again. i just turn of my a/c when running on the highway, then after few minutes, i just turn it back on and the a/c is now cold. sometimes when im running the car the a/c just blink and no cold air. im suspecting this would be an electronical problem. but would greatly need your help.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/22/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

When the A/C light flashes, that indicates that the compressor RPM did not match engine RPM. This can be caused by many things. In order to find the problem the following test need to be conducted.

The first test is to power up the compressor clutch with a jumper wire and start the vehicle, then turn on the A/C and see if the light flashes. If the light does not flash, look for a slipping A/C clutch or a faulty A/C clutch MG CLT relay, Also look for a wire harness problem that would cause the clutch to not turn on fast enough, or not at all. Also, do not overlook a slipping belt or a faulty A/C magnetic clutch relay.

If the A/C light still flashes when the compressor is powered up, always verify that there is no slipping of the A/C clutch or belt, then look at the A/C lock sensor circuit and the wire harness. The lock sensor generates an AC voltage signal back to the A/C amplifier or Engine Control Module (ECM), so the RPM signal is compared to the engine RPM. In some cases, a new wire may need to be run for the lock sensor.

If replacing the lock sensor, always verify that the magnetic pickup inside the A/C compressor did not fall out.

I hope you find this information helpful, remember to accept my answer before leaving and thank you for using just answers.

thanks. on my 2004 rav4, i could not find an MG CLT relay symbol. Also, im a diy guy, and need info on where is the location of the A/C lock sensor circuit and wire harness. i've been aware that the ECM of this vehicle is located under the passenger compartment, and it has too many wires, but could not pinpoint the A/C lock sensor circuit. but first thing i need to do is jumper wire the compressor clutch and see what happens. i'll wait for the downpour to stop and inspect it, as the first test that you recommend.

The relay is in the underhood fuse block, its labeled MG CLT/ac relay. 90% of the time this relay is bad causing the problem. The other problems are in the AC compressor it self, which would need to be replaced. Before replacing make sure the system is fully charged.

the underhood fuse block is located under the driver steering wheel ? left side compartment? i saw it and there is no MG CLT.
ok so i drove my wife to her office. its almost an hour before i dropped by the store to buy something. the a/c worked fine. but when i started the engine, and turned on the a/c , the a/c started to blink.
my 990 pesos is all there is for the answers above? i think im not satisfied. thanks.
Jim
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician