Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Engine starts warms up, drives well, at random engine turns…

Engine starts warms up...

Engine starts warms up , drives well , at random engine turns off as if key was turned off , one of the main relays in center dash has power when key is off right after engine dies , will not restart until said relay is no longer powered , 1 to 20 min wait , somehow power to relay is cut , then it starts . No rhyme or reason when it will die on the road , many times now.*****, 40 mo

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Totally rebuilt ign switch , tests solid in every position

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

93 Toyota Previa 299,000 mi , runs strong

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pulled , tested all relays in cab , new vacuum modulator , tested ear valve ok , vac lines seal ok , did find one relay intermittent, rebuilt set & tested many times ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Vexed , please help

Going to start w component pin voltage tests , check engine light has not come while running , light does work
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Have you check for diagnostic codes in the OBD1 connector? You can do that using A jumper wire.

Notified that you have sent answer , I haven't received answer from Toyota mech

hello I am a Toyota mechanic and have worked at the dealer level for over 30 years, what we usually did on these older models is to see if there are any diagnostic codes in the computer, since you said the check engine light is or was on there must be some code number information, I'm asking you if you have done this or are planning to do this or if you need instructions how to do this so I have some idea of where to look for the problem instead of just telling you to try different parts and hope it works.

misunderstood , the check eng. light has not come on during operation , in of itself the light works , there are no error codes to be checked

Thanks for the update

A common problem on these engine is the igniter module, it's located underneath on the right side just below where the engine is towards the rear also make sure the distributor rotor is not burned or cracked, try a new rotor and an igniter module.

Pulled access cover on pass side , pcv hose was cracked , all new now . Started w some sputtering , bled coolant while I was in there , warmed up , idle smoothed out , ran about 2 min , got a tiny bit rough idle for 2 seconds then died sharply . Ug . Brand new distributor . Is there a way to test ignitor , I'm guessing if I can get to start again , when it stalls , see if I've got spark while cranking eng off coil wire to block?
3:30 am where I am , going at it with van . I miss contact points & vac advance

T​hanks for the update, try to find out if spark is lost, if that's what happens try another igniter, I don't know of any way to actually test them other than just trying another one, the coil is another problem area.

If spark is not a problem check fuel pressure or remove and check the fuel filter, can't recall where exactly it's located but it does have one in the fuel line to the engine near the front.

How can I test ignitor?

let me see if I can locate something

Put a test light on the negative side of the coil connector, crank the engine, the light should flash

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
I took ignitor out and heated it w blow dryer till reasonable hot reinstalled and won't start at all so I'm going to pull the trigger on new part , I'll let you know
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech