Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Actually it is a toyota sienna. a friend and myself changed…

Customer Question
Actually it is a...

Actually it is a toyota sienna. a friend and myself changed the rack and pinion, put in a used one and now it chirps and has a grinding sound when ebver i accelrate. i can go about 5 mph and that is all or it will chirp and grind

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It seemslike from the left side by the tie rod, it wasnt doing this until we changed the rack and pinion and as soon as i test drove it it started

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sienna?

2009 awd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, just checked power steering fluid level

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just tell him it is a grinding noise and chirping noise like a brake sensor. started immediately after changing the rack

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/21/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 7 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on your explanation of the issue, thsi really sounds to me like you have a faulty ABS wheel speed sensor (assuming you have ABS). Damage to the sensors or the hub that the sensor "reads" can happen when banging the tie rods out of the spindle.