Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

My Lexus GX shut off while I was driving and now won’t turn…

Customer Question
My Lexus GX shut...

My Lexus GX shut off while I was driving and now won’t turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your GX?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your GX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m currently stuck in a parking lot. I haven’t really tried anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

The a/t oil temp light is on. But I think that’s just on while the key is turned to off before the engine starts

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There seems to be a coolant leak at the front of the engine. Not sure though.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 2 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

So it died while driving , did you loose power on dash also ?

So to be sure the engine Does not Crank over , not the engine cranks over and don't start ?

did you check battery ,battery cables

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

please let me know

I didnt lose power to the dash. Everything else seems to be working fine. The engine just won’t turn over when I try to start it. It acts like it’s trying to start but won’t fire. I am stuck in a parking lot so I don’t have any access to any sensors.
Battery cables are all fine. Timing belt is fine as well and still on the tracks. I’m fairly familiar with mechanics and electrics but this has stumped me.
I’ve never had any issues with this car for the 3-4 years I’ve owned it. Never any problem with fuel pump or any electrical issues.
I’m just trying everything I can before I decide to get it towed to a repair shop. If I could get it started and drive it the quarter mile back to my house I would have more options.
Are you still there?
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 2 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. when you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard the fuel pump. What kind of noise am I listening for?

do you have anyone there to put their ear to the fuel door?

its only going to run for a few seconds

its a small whirring sound inside the tank

I’m by myself here and next to a busy street so it’s hard to tell if I can hear it or not
Is there any other way for me to test if the fuel pump is working?

no

Is there anything else I can try that might be the cause of the problem?

you can check a few fuses.

Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It turns out that the timing belt broke.

oh boy, I hope you didnt bend any valves. are you doing the job yourself?

hows it going?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician