Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It's shaking and check engine light is on. It was blinking…

It's shaking and check...

It's shaking and check engine light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It was blinking yesterday and now it stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2008 camry

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

4 cylinder Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Oil is bone dry

12/20/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Ok

The check engine flashing means the computer system is seeing a direct engine misfire and that would explain the shaking as well. The first thing you need to do is make sure the engine oil level is full. When the check engine light comes on the computer will detect the problem and set and store a fault code, in order to determine which cylinder is missing we need to start with having the system scanned. If you can get this done and post back with the fault code I will direct you from there as to the needed repair.

Is it safe to move this vehicle 2miles to a store?
Also, if I change the spark plugs and oil will that help?

Yes as long as the check engine light is on steady your okay to move it and yes changing the spark plugs and oil may help especially if its just a bad spark plug which is likely.

Ok thank you

Your very welcome, if you still have this problem after doing the repair post back and we can work from there. Thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Will do
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Phone call session started

Thank you.