Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No power to fuel pump no power to + with key on. No power at…

No power to fuel...

No power to fuel pump no power to B+ with key on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No power at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

94 truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced fuel pump, no power to pump, checked all fuses, read that you can jump B+ to fp, did that yesterday got power to pump. To dat no power to B+

12/19/2017
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** you post your vin number for me?

getting it
4TAVN13D5RZ297055
no to live call cell very weak here

Thanks, ***** ***** I look up a wiring diagram.

Did the truck run when you jumped power to the fuel pump?

it did yesterday and I stopped there thinking is was the efi relay yet when I started today there is not any power to the B+

Do you mean that there is now no power on your jumper?

Explain to me what you are doing. Where are you jumping power from?

in the diagnostic box B+ to FP
To day there is not any power to the B+

Where is the diagnostic box located?

On the side of the fuse box under hood passenger side

Have you checked the 15 amp efi fuse?

that you understand what has happened truck froze up water in gass got it thawed out ran great for awhile 50 to 60 miles died and sputtered ran a few mile died again did this quite a few times till I got home. Open gas tank drained gas vacuumed all junk and water out while in there changed fuel pump and inline filter. then had no power to fuel pump. found this web sight and there was a read about doing this jump

Ok, power comes from the EFI fuse but has to go through the EFI relay with the key on. Is the relay installed?

I believe I have checked all fuses but just to be sure where is it located?

In the fuse box under the hood near the battery. Also check the IGN fuse.

fuses are good checked with test light also

Check for power to the EFI relay. Two of the slots should have 12V with the key on.

pull the relay and check the slots?

Yes

there is power to two slots

Ok, did you install a new EFI relay?

no the one I bought is t big for the slot

Does the old EFI relay click when you insert it into the slots while the key is on?

it did click when I installed it

Ok, so if the relay clicks you should have 12V at the B+ terminal in the diagnostic box with the relay installed and the key on. If you don't have 12V at the terminal I want to bypass the relay and check it again.

no power to B+ how would I bypass the relay?

Remove the relay and insert a fused jumper lead from terminal 3 to terminal 5.

ok have the dia. now what to do?

The diagram was just so you could be sure you were checking for B+ in the correct place. Remove the EFI relay and insert a fused jumper lead from terminal 3 to terminal 5 then recheck for power at B+ in the box.

I understand brb

ok

pulled relay jumped 3 and 5 no power to B+ No power on 3 or 5 still power to the two terminals in relay no click from relay when installed yes key on

Which two terminals have power?

in the relay

Yes

Terminal 5 should have 12V.

no power on 5

Which two terminals have power in the relay slots?

closest to engine and battery

Ok, do you know the slot numbers? I need to figure out which slots have power and why 5 doesn't.

I see no numbers you have a dia.?
that's not it relay is in fuse box

That's just a picture of the relay itself.

got it just a min.
ok # 5 has power with key on or off #1 has power only with key on

Correct, now jump from 5 over to 3 and check for power at B+ in the diagnostic terminal.

Any luck?

I was interrupted by visitor you mean to jump 3 and 5 in the relay?

I want you to remove the EFI relay and insert a fused jumper lead from slot 3 to slot 5 in the relay box.

ok brb

ok

have power to B+ now

Great! So your EFI relay is bad. Does the car start with the jumper installed?

I will go and try

Ok

it did

Excellent! Replace the EFI relay with the correct part and you should be fine.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
thank you this sight will get recommended to my friends

You're quite welcome.