Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Tacoma pre runner shuts off while driving. 2003. I just…

Customer Question
My Tacoma pre runner...

My Tacoma pre runner shuts off while driving

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Tacoma?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just changed the ecu which was recommend from a mechanic. and the same problem persist. when the truck reaches about 4 to 6 rpm it starts to spudder and eventually the idle drops and it dies out

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

It loses connection with the ecu when driving I leave my code reader plugged in while on a test drive and it loses connection at about 4 rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The only code that comes up is a bank 1 sensor 1 malfunction but i just changed that part and the code still comes up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
its a 3.4 motor. has about 220k MI. i keep it very well maintained and do everything i can to keep it running perfectly. My mechanic said that when the ECU loses connection the truck then goes into a limp mode which then cause my truck to spudder and shut off. The gauges (Fuel/Coolant Temp) go crazy and go up and down as well. My ABS light blinks and when i run the codes for the ABS it says that all of speed sensors are giving out the wrong output. and my deceleration sensor is malfunctioned. please help me figure out what parts i should look into purchasing first. both the ECU and the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor is new. Ive asked several people about this problem and the answer i keep getting is that theres a relay or fuse shorting out and its causing my ECU to enter into a limp mode. what do you guys think? have you ever encountered similar problems to this? and if so, what parts were the main fix to your problems? please please help me! thank you for your time!
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/19/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

If you unplug the alternator, do the same test, does it still occur?

I unplugged the alternator and i get the same results at the start up

You unplugged the alternator, the revved the engine to 6000 rpms and it stalled?

In unplugged the alternator and checked the connection and put it back on im so sorry i didnt rev it with it unplugged. Im sorry my mistake

No problem.

Its a little late on "hawaiian time"first thing in the morning i will do more trouble shooting and be back with more details.

Fully understand

Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 6 months ago

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris