Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It was hit in the rear we drove it home and now it will not…

Customer Question
It was hit in...

It was hit in the rear we drove it home and now it will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes, looks good and tight the motor turns over but will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Corolla 2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sure always

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No you can smell gas but none on the ground or leaking. Is there an inertia switch?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/18/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

H​ello, thanks for posting, it doesn't have an inertia fuel cut off switch but if the airbags deploy or the seatbelts lock during impact the fuel pump is disabled.

Is the rear damage severe enough to where the fuel tank may have been damaged?

In any case the car should not be driven in this state and you should contact a body shop and your insurance carrier.

No, real rearend damage at all!!!

Thanks for the reply, are there any warning lights on the dash on while the engine is running?

I am a very good mechanic, just asking some questions about this model. That replay was not worth the money. I hope you have something else I could possible look at on the car.

Please read my last post.

No, none. it fires as well. it just will not turn over.
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

New expert here, do you still need assistance?

No thanks, emailing is fine.

No I mean do you wish me to help you with this issue , if a service has been offered that was from the sight in order to just inform you this service is available if needed but we can continue texting if you prefer Let me know so I can proceed to help you.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

i would like your help. So the car tries to start, it turns over but does not fully start. To me it acts like a firing or gas issue. The starter engages, motor turns over but does not start. Appreciate your in put.

Ok here is what you can do to help determine if it is a fuel or spark issue. Spray some quick start into the intake as you crank it over, not too much just enough to here it try to start. If it does not try to start then it is a spark issue but if it does try to start then it is a fuel issue. Please try that and get back to me so we can proceed.