Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Prius which is first generation. The gas cap…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a 2002...
Hi. I have a 2002 Prius which is first generation. The gas cap is on the right-hand side. I noticed when lifting the latch next to the drive’s seat to open up the panel that provides access to the gas cap that from time to time at the panel will not open. When I reach into the trunk through a small gap I’m able to tug on one of two black cables and it open slightly enough to use a key to open it all the way. What do you think is the cause of this and what can I do to fix it? Thank you.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/18/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen years of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Based on the way you described, my best professional opinion would be that the release cable is sticking, or the latch itself is not releasing when the cable is activated. You can attempt to put some grease or WD-40 on the latch and cable where they make their release to see if that helps. You should also monitor the release cable mechanism and make sure it is not sticking as you have someone help you by pulling on the fuel door release latch. I hope this helps.