Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

2009 corolla, I replaced the fuel pump, and still no start.

2009 corolla, I replaced...

2009 corolla, I replaced the fuel pump, and still no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

It was the originla

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, the pump works if hooked direct to 12 volt battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

12/18/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

With everything hood up normally have you tested fuel pressure at the engine ?

I have power going to the pump from the car, when I crank car the pump turns on for about 1 -2 sec, then shuts

are there any security or check engine lights on?

security light shuts off when key used
I had a engine light a few days before my initial no start, I then determined it was the pump and changed it

so you never pull the codes?

No I did not, I only had 23 lbs fuel pressure so was pretty sure that was the issue
when I hook the pump up direct to 12 volt battery the car starts instantly

ok so it sounds like there is an issue in the power delivery or connections somewhere, if your really good with a multimeter I can send you a step by step test for the system

Well, I am not that good with one but go ahead re instructions
I was hoping it would be a rely

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5wobv2mrc3rsgz/printou2.docx?dl=0

It could be, have you tested it yet?

That looks very helpful, no I did not know where it was
anything else come to mind re why the pump will only run for a few seconds then shut off? Or best guess, this was probably my original issue that I thought was a faulty pump
The low pressure convinced me that was the issue

Bad ecm or the theft system is going crazy but usually it will code for something when thats the case

Ok that helps, can I run the car a short distance with the pump hooked direct to the 12v battery
If I cannot repair I was going to drive it that way to a shop.

Sure thing! Let me know what you come up with.

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
I will give the wiring diagram etc you sent a look and try to locate any faulty relays fuses etc. thanks for your help.

good luck and thanks for the great rating! happy holidays!

Happy holiday's to you as well. Cheers ***** ***** BC
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician