Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 RAV4, overhead light console switch won't stay in the…

Customer Question
2004 RAV4, overhead light...

2004 RAV4, overhead light console switch won't stay in the console, and when I removed it, the electrical plug came out, not sure which of the two sockets it goes into.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Sometimes called the map light, it's the one over the front seats, overhead between drive/passenger seats.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RAV4 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself. I've removed the overhead console, my main issue right now is 1) the switch doesn't want to stay tight into the assembly, but more critically, 2) not sure where the loose plug goes in. I tried both, but I think I tripped a fuse, because now alot of interior electrical stopped working (e.g. locks, the other dome interior light).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can probably find/replace the fuse myself, but I'm wondering why there are two sockets up there, and whether plugging the wrong one in, would cause the short that tripped the fuse.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/18/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Can you post a picture of the connector and wires that are loose that you referring to and the switch and console assembly?

1st pic (63.jpg) is the switch that won't stay in the black housing, 2nd pic (64.jpg) shows the two sockets (I'm calling them that because the cable that comes out of the ceiling, has a plastic male end, that plugs into either the left or right spots in that pic; the two metal prongs in the pic in each "socket" of course insert into the white plastic male end of the ceiling cable.

Ok standby

Sorry I can not help you with that one the schematics do not show the actual board wires and switch just the plug to the console. I will opt out so other experts can look at this. I do not have an 04 hand to look at.