Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 95 toyota avalon 3.0 liter need to pass deq and…

Customer Question
good morning i have a...
good morning i have a 95 toyota avalon 3.0 liter need to pass deq and there is a code need to fix. p1780, thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/18/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you live where rust and corrosion are an issue? Has any work done to this recently? When you put it in reverse do the backup lights illuminate? When you put it in park or drive do the display lights on instrument panel indicate park and drive?

olmost all are shown when i switch from park to reverse. newtral, drive ecept for low and yes the reverse lights come on when i put it on reverse.

The 1780 code will set whenever the computer sees more than one input for example if it sees reverse and park at the same time or any other two inputs at the same time it sets this code. Two things will cause this the most common problem is the wires that go up to the deck lid or trunk lid along the left inner hinge in the trunk area get pinched and shorted this goes to the reverse lights and causes feedback to the neutral safety switch and into the computer setting all the problems off. Open the trunk check the wiring harness where it comes off the main wiring loom on the left quarter panel area and make sure the wires are not broke inside the tape where it breaks off the main harness. Also make sure the wires are not getting pinched in the hinge/spring area. If all that checks good replace the reverse light bulbs. If you're still having in the issue you will need to probably replace the neutral safety switch corrosion potentially has gotten down in there and is causing the contact points to short across more than one particular position.

how is it going to help if i replace reverse light bulbs?

It is just a precaution I have seen in some cases where the wrong bulb is installed or if the filament shorts out or the contact short out it's excessive current on the circuit which back feeds and creates an issue with the neutral safety switch. Or just remove the bulbs to ensure that the sockets and the bulbs are not the issue.