Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Red triangle warning lite, battery not holding charge, MFD…

Customer Question
Red triangle warning lite...

Red triangle warning lite, battery not holding charge, MFD has lines and flashing light...2009 prius with 98000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

The so-called red triangle of death...now var is completely dead; charged this morning but battery did not hold charge...MFD has been a problem for several months so i have accessed AC function, for exaMPLE, USING steering wheel control function

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing myself; trying to find out how big these problem(s) are...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just want to know how bad these problems are in combination...the red triangle of death just came on a couple of days ago; now I can't start the car though it ran this morning after I jumped the battery, wouldn't start an hour later...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/18/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

It sounds like the 12 volt battery should be replaced because it won't take charging anymore, these batteries charge up very slowly at low current from the ac/dc inverter under the hood, there is no alternator like other cars so this is why it went dead again after charging.

I'm going to recommend that you replace the 12 volt battery in the trunk.

would this be causing the issue with the MFD screen as well, or is that a separate issue in your opinion

It is the cause of this problem also, the 12 volt battery runs accessories and keeps the computer running.