Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Toyota Camry V6 LR. 2003 Camry. Bank 1 Bank 2 locations. Had…

Customer Question
Toyota Camry V6 LR ...

Toyota Camry V6 LR

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Camry?

2003 Camry. Bank 1 Bank 2 locations

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had a P-0330 Bank 2 malfunction code from a reliable P Code reader. So the code was P-0330 Knock Sensor malfunction Bank 2. Replaced it and the engine lite came back on indicating failure of the knock sensor bank 2. I replaced the knock sensor in bank 2 and the wire harness along with all the spark plugs cuz the rear ones are hard to get at without taking apart everything for the knock sensor. My engine lite just came back on subsequent to the replacement of the knock sensor in bank 2, I read up on all this and as far as I can see the odd number firing order cylinders are in bank 2. The bank in front of the engine facing the car from the outside is the one i replaced. Am I missing somfin here?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No and Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Because a burnt knock sensor screws with the engine timing, will that cause the transmission to not shift into overdrive?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 2 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

Bank 1 is near the firewall, bank2 is near the radiator. Bank 1 has cylinders 1,3,5

Bank2 has cylinders 2,4,6

I got that. I replaced the one in Bank 2 as the code reader indicated. Now I have the same lite on. Same bank

Thanks for the reply, the knock sensor may be reacting to a separate problem on bank 2, are there any other codes present? Does the engine seem to run normal, no loss of power or abnormal noises?

​You stated that you also replaced the sub harness for both sensors, it sould still be a wiring problem past the sub harness, was there any signs of rodent damage to the wires?

Definite performance decrease. A stutter or kind of uneven acceleration exists when the engine lite is on and the tranny does not shift into overdrive. When the lite goes on I check it promptly and it is constantly the same knock sensor code. I assume the lack of shift into overdrive is caused by the timing retardation from the fouled knock sensor. Sometime the engine light will go off by itself but lites baclk up within 20 miles. When the engine lite does go off by itself the engine performs much better and it also shifts into overdrive as well. I just change the sensor in the front bank closest to the radiator. Engine lite came back on within 30 miles. Any helpful advise?
BTW no rodent damage. Matter of fact the wire themselves are in good shape. The plastic conduit around the wires is brittle and cracking. . there are no other codes in the ECM that my code reader finds.
I'm out for the night. We will have to pick this up in the AM.

it won't go into overdrive when the check engine light is on, you just mentioned something that may have something to do with this about the conduit being brittle and cracking, try insulating this with some electrical tape, the knock sensors are very sensitive to other electromagnetic interference especially from high voltage sources like ignition coil packs, if you get a chance try to upload a photo of this insulation

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician