Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Battery died on my 2008 Toyota Highlander. We just want to…

Customer Question
Battery died on my...

Battery died on my 2008 Toyota Highlander. We just want to unlock the steering wheel so we can push it out of the garage and jump it. How do we do that??

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

do you still need assistance in getting out of park?

No we are in neutral but cannot push the car out of the garage as the wheels are turned. Steering wheel is locked

have you got a floor jack?

No we do not
We thought there might me a key insert on the steering column to unlock it manually? Like the one in the gear shift to take it from P to N...

No unfortunately there is not , so here are your options ; [1] remove battery and have it either replaced or charged and re install. [2] get one of those small booster packs you can take into the garage and jump it with that, by the way they are great to keep in the vehicle for emergencies and making money helping others. [3] borrow a floor jack so you can lift the front just enough so the wheel clear and push outside. I will send a pic of those battery pack jumpers.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Hope this lets you know and gives you ideas what you have to do next. Don'r forget this feater was put in place for theft deterrent and if it was that easy to bypass or unlock it would be of no use.

Thank you Peter! We pulled the battery out and are charging it now.

How old is the battery?Just wondering as it was dead, I would also load test it before you re-install it so you don't have problems down the road. Is there any thing else I can do for you before you rate me?

Can you kindly rate my service so we may close this dialog. Thank you.

Great service

You have to hit the stars on the sight page to rate me or it don't register, thank you.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician