Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Tacoma is a 98 3.5 L AT with a floor shift for the

Customer Question
My Tacoma is a...

My Tacoma is a 98 3.5 L AT with a floor shift for the transfer case. We just got our first snow and I had not used the 4x4 since last winter but when I shifted into 4 high there was no indicator light on the dash and I could tell the front wheels were not powered.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

I checked the fuse in the dash, it was fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Probably. I haven't have time to look at it yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 7 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. The problem you have on your hands is inactivity of the 4WD. On this vehicle, the 4 HI engagement causes the front axle disconnect to activate. When they are not used for long periods of time, the disconnect device sticks. This is why the light does not come on (unless the 4WD fuse in the panel under the dash on the left side is blown). Check the fuses; replace if you find one bad. If the fuses are all good, tap on the front axle disconnect unit with a small mallet while an assistant switches the selector form 2 to 4. It is recommended that this procedure be done on a hoist, with the vehicle off of the ground.

Where on the front axle is the disconnect unit?

On the front axle, little box next to the differential