Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota

Camry 2007 xle. If i can. nothing really. Its an overheating…

Customer Question
Hello pearl Mechanic's Assistant:...

Hello pearl

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

camry 2007 xle

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes if i can. nothing really

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its an overheating issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes i have an there is coolant

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Toyota
12/17/2017
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 2 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The number one cause of overheating is low coolant due to a leak at the water pump impeller shaft seal on these particular vehicles. I would not be surprised to see this if this car was in our shop. The second mot common issue is a sticking thermostat. A distant third issue would be radiator cooling fans not activating. I would recommend a close visual inspection of the front of the engine. If this car has the correct (red) coolant in it, you will see pink crystals where the coolant is seeping. If you see them, the water pump needs to be replaced. This replacement is not recommended by someone who is not familiar with this procedure.

Thanks for your response. I don't think its a coolant leakage because it seems intact. Let me try to give a better description of the issue.
I noticed the overheating when i was caught up in traffic for over two hours. I switched off the AC and the temperature immediately started reducing. I checked and noticed that only one fan was on but i am not sure both fans should be working at the same time. kindly clarify this. Also from your response, i picked out the thermostat as a likely fault. Please how do i confirm this?

When the AC is on, you cause additional heat to be present in front of the radiator. A second fan is supposed to come on when the AC is on. I would be investigating if both fans are working with the AC on. If not, that is whet needs to be addressed. A thermostat issue would not be the cause if turning the AC off causes the temperature to drop.

How do i know if the thermostat is faulty?

You need to take it out and test it. If the temp on the gauge drops with the AC off, the thermostat is not the problem

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert